Tips & Tricks
A little planning and a few travel tips can make your SINTER experience more rewarding, and can save you a few dollars. After all, we all need to save our money for more metal clay!
- Share a room – Buddying-up with a friend (old or new) is a great way to cut your costs in half! With the special SINTER rate, sharing a double room costs only $65 plus tax for each of you, and includes a hot breakfast buffet for you both. Find a buddy by posting in the AMCAW Members Group on Facebook
- Share a ride – If you live within driving distance, travel with a friend or two to make the trip more interesting and to split expenses. Just go to the AMCAW Members Group on Facebook and post when and from where you’re travelling.
- Hotel shuttle – The hotel has discontinued their shuttle service between the Pittsburgh airport and the hotel for others, but they are providing one for us, it is ONLY for SINTER attendees and their travel companions. Call the hotel at 412-922-8400 and please identify yourself as a SINTER guest when making arrangements. The shuttle will available from May 16 to the 24th running from 7 am to 10 pm. The trip takes about 20-30 minutes.
- Make your travel plans in advance – Air fares go up dramatically the closer you get to an event; try to make your flight reservations as far in advance as you can. You don’t need to rent a car if you’re taking advantage of the hotel shuttle, but if you want your own transportation, you’ll need to make reservations in advance as rental cars are still in short supply. Similarly, if you want to rent a scooter, contact rental companies in Pittsburgh in advance to make sure one is available.
- Planning flights
The closest International airport is Pittsburgh (PIT).
Air travel is still getting back to normal, and delays are not uncommon. Please allow sufficient time to arrive when you are planning your flights. You should always allow at least two hours to get to the airport when departing; city traffic can sometimes cause delays.
- Consider getting travel insurance. Get peace of mind by purchasing travel insurance, and no matter what happens, you’ll be covered! Some travel insurers will now cover trip cancellations for any reason.
Your health is important to us, and we don’t want you to get sick at SINTER. What fun would that be?! To keep all of our artists as healthy as possible, AMCAW strongly recommends that you:
- Wear masks while travelling to SINTER to prevent picking up germs of any kind, regardless of the mask requirement of your airline or other transportation.
- Bring masks to wear at SINTER to keep yourself (and others) safe. Please remember to respect the choice of others as to whether or not to wear a mask. You may also wish to bring some hand sanitizer.
- Know your travel requirements. If you are travelling from outside the US, you should know the Arrival & Departure Requirements for COVID testing from your point of origination and be prepared to meet them. Here’s some helpful information for resources in the Pittsburgh area.
Things to See and Do in Pittsburgh
Able to stay an extra day or two? There’s a lot to see and do in the Pittsburgh area, from museums to cultural attractions. Click here to find out more.
There are lots of things happening all the time at SINTER! To prevent missing out on something you want to see or do, plan your SINTER experience in advance.
Detailed information on the presentations are available online, and here are some downloadable planners for you:
My Sinter Conference Planner
My Sinter Presentation Selections
Who do I call if I have a question or need help while I'm at SINTER?
Help is just a text away!
Your SINTER support team can be texted if you have a question or need help. Choose the best option for you below. Note: standard data rates may apply.
Free texting in the U.S.
Text to 860.263.9039
International phones or phones with data charges for texts:
• Download WhatsApp (it’s Free)
• Text WhatsApp AMCAW Support Group
What kind of clothes should I pack?
Comfortable clothing and shoes are a must! You won’t need to leave the hotel during the conference, but sometimes hotel air conditioning can be cool, so you may want to pack a light jacket or fleece. For Saturday’s gala, you are encouraged to wear a fascinator, bow tie, or top hat. This would also be a great night to bring out the bling and put on a fun, smart casual outfit if you like. The hotel also has a gym and a pool, so pack a swimsuit and workout gear if you want to take advantage of them.
When do I get my workshop supply list?
If you’ve signed up for a workshop, you’ll get a supply list from the artist in plenty of time to make any needed purchases before SINTER.
What’s the scavenger hunt all about?
It’s all about fun! You’ll be assigned to a team, who will work together to knock off a list of fun assignments at the event. You’ll build great friendships, and maybe even win a prize!
What’s the Everyone’s a Winner?
This is an optional event on Saturday night; buy a ticket to enter, and look over the dozens of prizes available to win. When your number is called, you can pick the prize of your choice from the prizes available – and don’t worry, every number will be called! Even the last number to be called will have a number of prizes from which to choose. In short, Everyone Is a Winner!
What if I have a food allergy?
What if I have to cancel?
Does the hotel offer full accessibility?
The DoubleTree by Hilton Pittsburgh Green Tree offers ADA-accessible rooms and accessible routes to meeting rooms, restaurants, and all key amenities, plus hearing and vision disability aids such as visual alarms and large print menus. See a full list of their accessibility features on their website here. If you want to rent a scooter, please contact rental companies in Pittsburgh in advance to make your arrangements.